Cybotron's 1983 track "Clear" or the sample thereof used in Missy Elliot's "Lose Control", this patch is a demonstration of extending the sequencer from 4 to 16 steps with an easy-to-tune and recognizable sound.
- Tune VCO 1 just north of 12 o'clock.
- Tune SEQ 1 knobs so each step is a semitone above the previous.
- Tune VCO 2 to match VCO 1 (only needed if you make VCO 2 audible)
- Tune SEG 2 knobs so each step is 4 semitones above the previous.
- TIP: Press and hold the EG button and use the NEXT button to step through each tone individually to simplify tuning.
- Set RHYTHM 1 to be 4x as fast as RHYTHM 2, so that RHYTHM 1 completes a single pass perfectly for each step of RHYTHM 2. In other words, RHYTHM 2 is playing quarter notes on the beat, and RHYTHM 1 is playing 16th notes in time.
- Here's the sauce: Patch SEQ 2 OUT to VCO 1 IN. This makes Sequencer 2's knob position impact VCO 1's pitch.
- Adjust the rest of the knobs accordingly.
In the linked example, about halfway through the patch, another layer of this exact patch was added, with the VCOs tuned 3 semi-tones down, for a bit of extra "bite".